Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday Sketchbook: Road Trip

My apologies for the gaps between posts. I've been in the midst of settling my Mom's estate, and painting has had to take a back seat while my duties have called me away. I have managed to keep my sketchbook going--the top drawing is from the passenger seat during a snow storm on the drive south. I say in the sketch below: "Sitting in Au Bon Pain on 19th Street, waiting for my new passport to be issued. Feels odd to be alone in a city again--been awhile. Very relieved passport ready today at 2:00--the three hours until then feels like a gift of time. I'm going over to the Museum of American Art to look at paintings for a few hours..."


The paintings and folk art I saw in my brief visit to the museum refreshed my frazzled spirit. I left thinking about this quote from artist Hans Hoffman: "Being inexhaustible, Life and Nature are a constant stimulus for the creative mind."

2 comments:

susans said...

Sorry to hear about your Mom, saying a prayer for you. Sketches are beautiful.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Susan, I didn't realize that you had lost your mother so recently. I'm so sorry. I still have mine and I know I will be crushed when she goes.
Yes, your sketches are just fantastic. Always.
Enjoy the Bahama breezes.