Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bathroom Sink with Bonnard (detail)


Right as I was packing my car to return to Vermont on Thursday, I found this painting stacked in a pile of stuff from my old Washington studio. I had designed it as a homage to Bonnard, to the great painter Antonio Lopez Garcia, and to my bricklayer grandfather, who laid the blue tiles in this bathroom of our family home he built in Takoma Park. Maybe I'll finish this one someday, but until then it's going back into storage, and tomorrow I'll be getting back to painting my here and now, the Vermont landscape.

5 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Beautifully painted everyday items. Maybe it's because of the shine or the reflections of things in the tiles. Very nice!

jennifer woodburn said...

Love this - I could get lost in the variations of blues that you used. Speaking as a Bonnard fan, you captured this wonderfully.

christine said...

What a beautiful slice of everyday life!

I also wanted to let you know I've given you the Passion for Painting award on my blog :)

Christine
P.S. My husband and I lived in Takoma Park several years ago. It has such charming, picturesque houses!

erna said...

I am Fan of this delicate painting, it remembers me a little room in Barcelona , I tried to capture her symphony of blue on photo but it escaped. And your painting gives me that after all. Great thanks!!

Susan Abbott said...

Thank you for these comments. I enjoyed looking at your blogs, everyone. Lots of energy there! Erna, glad that this is reminiscent of somewhere in Barcelona for you. I was thinking of some Spanish painters whose work I love when I composed it.